Planning a trip to Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix? Here’s what you need to know about organizing operations to the city’s two most popular airports.
- Overflight and landing permits are not required for private flights
- Non-scheduled commercial flights do not require overflight permits
- Non-scheduled commercial flight require landing permits
- The lead time for permit approval is three days
- ICAO: YMEN
- IATA: MEB
- Latitude/ longitude: S37-43.7 E144-54.1
- Elevation: 282 ft.
- Variation: 11E
- Time Zone: UTC+10
- YMEN is a public airport serving scheduled commercial, corporate-jet, charter and general aviation flights serving Melbourne
- YMEN is often the primary choice for domestic travel within Australia and has many FBO facilities for GA flights
- CIQ: Australian Border Force will clear international flights at YMEN with at least 24 hours of prior notice or preferably 48 hours if possible
- ABF shift change is between 1330-1430LCL. We recommend avoiding international flights during this period
- Business aircraft parking is usually less expensive at YMEN, but there’s a 99,208-lb. (45,000-kg) MTOW limitation for operations to this airfield. Please be reminded that YMEN has an operating curfew in place between 2300 – 0600 LCL daily with no exceptions for any operations
- While infrastructure is in place to handle all types of general aviation aircraft, it’s important to keep in mind Melbourne Essendon (YMEN) enforces a 99,208-lb. (45,000-kg) MTOW limitation for all aircraft
- ICAO: YMML
- IATA: MEL
- Airport type: International
- Latitude / longitude: S37-40.4 E144-50.6
- Elevation: 434 ft.
- Variation: 11E
- Time Zone: UTC+10
- YMML (Tullamarine airport) is the second busiest airport in Australia
- It only has one FBO facility – Melbourne Jet base – which also has hangarage for parking subject to availability
- There may be limited parking available during the Grand Prix period, it is advisable to provide as much prior notice as possible
- CIQ: ABF (Australian Border Force) request 48hrs notice for off terminal clearances. OTC approvals are subject to ABF availability
- YMML does not have a curfew
- YMML is able to handle all aircraft types and sizes
There will be NOTAMs issued for airspace restrictions to the southeast of YMML. This will not affect operations at YMML or YMEN.
Passengers will require a visa to enter Australia. This must be issued prior to arrival by Australian missions overseas; travel agents; or at www.immi.gov.au
If you hold an electronic Visa remember that it is verified using Australia’s Advance Passenger Processing (APP) system. This requires the details of the travel document that contains the visa.
Crew members require a passport for any flight entering Australia.
Operational Crew must hold a valid passport; an Airline Identity Card and be registered with a Crew Travel Authority (CTA), which can be issued online at www.immi.gov.au
Positioning Crew must hold a valid passport; and a Crew Travel Authority (CTA); and a letter from the employer certifying that the person is an aircrew member, stating the purpose of travel and the arrangements to leave the country.
If your final destination is not an international airport or there is a long connection time, baggage will be cleared at the first port of entry. Otherwise, baggage will be cleared at the final destination.
Airport Embarkation Tax
No Airport Tax is levied on embarkation at the airport.
- Melbourne Airport is 27 km and a 35 min drive away from the city
- Essendon Airport is 19 km and a 20 min drive away
Albert Park is accessible by using Port Road which links the suburb to Port Adelaide and Adelaide city center, and West Lakes Boulevard, which connects Albert Park to the shopping facilities at West Lakes.
- Metro – Albert Park is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro
- Trains – The Grange railway line passes the suburb at Albert Park station
- Buses – The suburb is serviced by bus routes run by the Adelaide Metro
Albert Part is 3 km from Melbourne. There is a wide variety of hotels located close to Albert Park. Here is a selection of the hotels located within 2km:
- Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
- City Park Hotel
- Bayview Eden Melbourne
- Crown Promenade
- Royce Hotel
- Crown Interpol
For more information on operating to Australia, email email@example.com